I LOVE to cook and grow a vegetable garden in the summer along with hundreds of varieties of flowers and herbs. I am an avid horsewoman and lover of cats. I began my working adult life as a children's clothing and hosiery designer before I got the calling to teach. Because I hold an Art degree I began as an art teacher, and worked toward my goal to be a FACS teacher. I am looking forward to another fun and action packed school year!!!!
Food & Nutrition 1
In this class we cover basic nutrition, cooking utensils, shopping for & storing food, basic cooking techniques, manners & etiquette, and food safety with the goal of preventing a foodborne illness at home via the NC Safe Plate program.
Food & Nutrition 2
In this class students will be given the opportunity to take the nationally recognized Servsafe 7 Food Manager credential exam after successfully preparing for it. We also consider entrepreneurial possibilities in the food world, which is vast. Students will study nutrition in a more in depth manner considering sports applications and general wellness. We also look at the farm-to-table movement.
- Students must have insurance while enrolled in this class as knives are used and we are learning: accidents happen although we do all we can to prevent anything from happening.
- This is a fast paced class filled with useful information you WILL USE!!!
- Binders with paper, pens & pencils are needed everyday.
- Occasionally students are asked to bring in something (a potato) from home. (F & N 1)
- There is a large casserole project cooked and eaten at home. There is a rubric for this and multiple parts to the project. (F & N 1)
- There is homework!!!! Every night students should study the notes of the day to prepare for tomorrow and any and all assessments.