Starmount High

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu
District Home

Undocumented Students

CFNC Contact for Spanish Students

Financial tools

Use the Grant Forecaster and Net Price Calculator (on CFNC Spanish site) to calculate how expensive college will be for you:

The Bottom Line

  • Undocumented students are not eligible for financial aid.
  • To get financial aid, the student must be a U.S. citizen, green card holder, or in the process of applying for asylum.
  • North Carolina does not allow undocumented students to pay in-state tuition, but this may change in the future.

When Applying

Don't select international student on application. Call the admissions office to figure out the best way to apply.


  • TPS - Temporary Protective Status
    • For students from El Salvador, Haiti, Honduras, Nicaragua, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan, Syria
    • Get 2-year permission to live in the U.S.
    • May get a driver license
    • No access to social services
    • Can get in-state tuition but no state/federal financial aid
  • I-797 Form - Application for Legal Permanent Residence (Green Card)
    • If student has submitted application of Green Card
    • Can get in-state tuition at community colleges
    • Once final paperwork is submitted, can get in-state tuition at all state schools
  • U-Visa
    • Can get in-state tuition, but must have had visa for at least 1 year.
    • Business Sponsor Exception
    • An employer in NC can sponsor a student employee to get in-state tuition and must be through legitimate employer and using company check/credit card
    • Arizona, Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama have more restrictive policies for undocumented students.
  • FAFSA Completion for students who are U.S. citizens but whose parents are undocumented (don't have SSN)
    • Use 000-00-0000 for parent SSN, but they will not be able to get a PIN
    • Need to print FAFSA and mail signatures.
    • Not eligible to use data retrieval tool.
    • More likely to be flagged for verification—wait until the college contacts the student.

Additional Scholarship

More Information

Other Resources